The Early Development Instrument has been included in Hamilton’s 2018 Vital Signs report as a key measure of the city’s health.
The report includes data from 10 key areas of community life:
- Arts & Culture
- Citizens & Engagement
- Getting Around
- Health & Well-Being
- Low Income
The report shows that Hamilton’s overall EDI vulnerability rate has remained relatively stable at 31%.
Looking at the individual EDI domains shows Hamilton children are improving in certain areas and struggling in others.
- Vulnerability has decreased in:
- Language and Cognitive Development
- Communication Skills and General Knowledge
- Vulnerability has increased in:
- Emotional Maturity
- Physical Health and Well-Being
The report also includes the difference in vulnerability between city wards, highlighting the disparity in children’s developmental health outcomes.